Friday, September 23, 2011

JUGS#103 Altered Tissue Box

Well fall has fallen! It's been crisp and cool in the mornings but delightful in the afternoons. It's my favorite season - I just love it!  Maria is bringing on a wonder-fall 3D challenge for Just Us Girls this week - she wants us to alter a tissue box or some other box you have laying around the house - with a FALL theme.
I was really stuck at first trying to come up with what I wanted to do for this. I was having a
brainstorming conversation on Skype with my dear friend Selma and she came up with the idea of a luminaire! SO - Selma thanks for the idea -- here's what I came up with. It's always amusing for me to watch how ideas just change and transform as I begin to work.  My final project ended up being a weathered barn (of sorts).


I started with red cardstock. I scored it, weathered it with brown ink dragged across the paper, then just began to add some fun accents. Picket fence punch and some of my favorite Gina K stamps called Autumn Beauty. I colored and cut out sunflowers, scarecrow, pumpkins and corn stalks. I cut out the oval for the "window" and backed it with a spotted vellum. Cut an oval to "frame it up". Finally I didn't have the right things to finish off the top how I originally thought I would, so I ended up making a "roof" - was trying to make it sort of like a barn.

 Here you can see the "barn" from the front with the warm candle light showing through. I used a LED candle votive instead of a real one - not sure if I'd set the paper box on fire LOL


 The LED candle flickers on and off and it was mostly "off" in this photo but you can see the sunflowers on the side and you sort of see the peaked barn roof. Used the woodgrain embossing folder.

This is the other side of the barn - with the corn stalk. If I had more time I would have cut and colored more corn stalks to finish this side a bit more.

Here's a close up of the front showing the candle light through the vellum. Turns out I like it more than I thought I would :-)

Thanks for a great challenge Maria - whew! Can't wait to see what all of you come up with. Please pop over to the DT for some inspiration and PLEASE stop over and leave some JUGS love for our Featured Designer Monique - I guarantee you will LOVE her project! Thanks Monique for a fantastic job for JUGS.

Meanwhile - don't forget we're still looking for a new DT member so please come and apply! You can check it out here. We'd love to see what you come up with.

Have a great weekend.
Stampin Pam

9 comments:

Lisa Kind said...

Love how I ideas come together like this! This is so cute! I love the barn idea and you did a great job making it look like one! Love the spotted vellum too...never saw that stuff. Great job with the challenge!

Selma said...

Pam this turned out SO cute. I really like that you turned it into a barn -- who would know that was a Kleenex box. Great job my friend.

Anne Tussing said...

What a perfect fall project! Love your little scarecrow and the roof design!

Kathryn B said...

I love this Pam!!! So glad you went with the fake flame it would have been a shame to have this beauty go up in a puff of flames!!! LOL!!! Your roof looks awesome and the glow of the votive behind the spotted vellum is clever and adds to the overall rustic look of your barn!!!

Marianne B in AZ said...

I really like your barn! The candle light coming through looks great! It is amazing to see all of the beautiful fall projects I am coming across on blogs.

Maria said...

Your box is fabulous! Love your barn! Nice job Pammie!

Brenda said...

Pam this is awesome!!! What a fabulous idea, thank you for the inspiration.

Dana Gustafson said...

This turned out so cute Pam! I love all the fall touches. Reminds me of that commercial..."we'll leave the light on for ya"

Annabella Merlin said...

The candle light through the vellum is great! I love the color scheme and the fall touches!

You Might Also Like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails