Friday, January 8, 2010

Just Us Girls #15 - "Sew What?"

Hi girls - guess what - it's Just Us Girls challenge time - this week is a technique challenge hosted by the incredibly sweet and talented Mona Pendelton. Mona pulled out all the stops this week and is challenging everyone to get sewing! NOW - if you are at all like me I literally groaned out loud. LOL I own a Janome sewing machine but it is still - IN THE BOX! And, I've been a little short on time SO before you panic - you can machine stitch, hand stitch or even FAUX (fancy word for fake) stitch!

Here is my little bit o' love for this challenge... in a fun, non-traditional card size too.

I pulled out my brand new little Tilda With Love Rice from Magnolia Stamps for this challenge. I've been itching to ink her up and she is as cute as I thought she would be. I've been working a lot with the wonderful color palette for Lauren Meader's new store, My Time Made Easy so I wanted something totally different for this one - I used Everyday Blessings DP from PTI as my starting point and paper pieced Tilda's apron and wings. The rest I colored with Copics. I cut out the image with the largest Labels Four nestie and when I went to sponge the image while it was still in the nestie die I discovered there was some pink/red ink on the die (from last time I used it?) which accounts for the bits of pink and red in my aqua sponging - I hadn't planned on that color and I certainly didn't have time to re-do Tilda :-) (But it sorta picks up the pink of the hearts right??) LOL

Here's the close up view - can you see the stickles on the hearts and Tilda's wings and her hair bow?

Ok - where's the sewing??? Well if you look at the bottom of the card you'll see that gathered strip of aqua satin ribbon. THAT is my sewing. When I took sewing in maybe 7th grade? we learned how to "gather".  I grabbed a needle and piece of embroidery floss (couldn't even find my thread LOL) and sewed the basting stitch necessary to gather the ribbon.


Of course then I promptly covered up the stitching with some white satin ribbon! Just in case that didn't count, I added a little bit of faux stitching with my white gel pen along the bottom and top edges of the card. I also took a picture just to "prove" I really did thread that needle and do some sewing, Mona! :-) I'm just JEALOUS of all you gals who can sew up a storm. *sigh*


I hope you'll break out your sewing supplies - I PROMISE I'll get my Janome going one of these days soon. I'd love to see what you create. Be sure to link up your project to our Mr. Linky on the JUGS site.

And now - for some TRUE seamstresses.... check out the rest of the team and what they have brought for you today. Be sure to stop by and leave some love for our January Featured Designer, Gabby!



Here's to a FABULOUS weekend. Stay warm.

12 comments:

Mona Pendleton said...

What an adorable card Pam! You did a great job coloring the sweet image & I like the shimmery hearts. You are such a hoot!!! I wasn't even going to mention you kicking & screaming about this challenge! You sure did an outstanding job with your stitching :) Yep, gathering a ribbon with a needle & thread qualifies as does the faux (fake) stitching :) You will be dangerous when you get that Janome in motion! Thank you so much for creating this precious card for this week's stitching challenge :)

Dana Gustafson said...

You are sew cute Pam! SOmetimes a girl just needs to ruffle and faux, ya know?? I love your little Tilda and I always admire your gorgeous nesties + sponging. I need more practice on that! This is definitely sweet with all the layers. I LOVE that border punch too!

Catherine Couch Doucette said...

Pam! How sweet is this card??? I just want to squeeze her :0)

craftieodmae said...

oh wow, this is jaw dropping breath taking gorgeous!!~!!!!

Stef H said...

wow! gorgeous!

hugs,

Kathryn B said...

Pam your card is so soft and pretty! I love your take on sewing! LOL! GREAT Card!!!

Alicia Weiman said...

What a sweet card. I love the image you used. I haven't purchased any of these images yet, but I really want too, they are all so darling. Love your color combo too....it's so soft and sweet!

Silke Ledlow said...

Super sweet long card - Pam!!! Your faux stitching looks wonderful!!! Start unpacking your new sewing machine...LOL!!! Hugs ~S~

Maria said...

She is so sweet! Love the non traditional size and the colors are awesome!!

Kristin Eberline said...

I'm still laughing after having read your post :O) LOL I love that you photographed your basting stitch to prove to Mona that you DID actually sew on your card! Ha ha. Girl, my machine is still in the box also! My whole card boasts of faux stitching today :[ I am DETERMINED to break out that sewing machine after I finish designing this month's paper!! Keep your fingers crossed after I do...I never took sewing in school. I know, HOW does one from my day get away without taking Home-
Ec?! LOL

Your card is GORGEOUS in all of it's aqua glory and even the shimmer of pink that's showing through on your sponging...it totally complements your flowers! LOVE it! Tilda is colored beautifully also. Your talent never ceases to amaze me!

Unknown said...

Loving this Pam -- Tilda is so cute...and your 'proof' of stitching made me smile. What a perfect bow - how'd you do that???? :)

I think this is just beautiful and I love the ruffle - you and I seem to think a lot alike sometimes...great minds...great minds... *giggle*

Lisa Kind said...

Well thank goodness you took a picture to prove you DID sew on your card and fulfilled the challenge! LOL! You Tilda is seriously cute and the card is lovely! (Sorry it took so long to comment....long week!)

You Might Also Like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails