Well it's time for another challenge from Lauren Meader. This time (since it's a 5th week in the month) Lauren is featuring a technique challenge where we were to dry emboss vellum then color it. This is a long post since I took the time to show the steps and a bit of my thought process as I did this new-to-me technique. SCROLL DOWN to see what the Design Team came up with for this challenge then please join us and share what YOU create using this technique. Be sure to link your creation to Mr. Linky on Lauren's blog.
First - here's the final project I came up with. It's not a traditional card size - it's 4x8 (folded) and fits a standard #10 envelope. But sometimes I just gotta get out of the A2 rut. :-) I wanted a big bouquet of flowers and my tulips out in my front yard were just calling to me so the flowers are from Gina K Design's Year of Flowers (illustrated by Melanie Muenchinger!) Sentiment is from Melanie's Say it With Flowers.
Here are the steps I followed. First I stamped (and masked) images with Memento ink on vellum. I let it dry a little then flipped the vellum over and used an embossing stylus to trace over all the lines of my image. Be sure your vellum is on something "cushiony" for the embossing step - I used my paper piercing pad. (Sorry I forgot to take a pic of these steps. oops)
Then I used my copics to color the BACK of the vellum - the side where I just traced with my stylus.
Here's a picture of the freshly colored back of vellum.
I let that dry for a bit then turned it back over to the front side. Here's what the coloring looks like when the vellum is laid on a white piece of cardstock (more subtle colors than on the reverse.)
Next I laid the colored, embossed vellum onto a piece of Berry Sorbet CS. I didn't like that look - it was too dark for me so I tried the vellum over Lemon Tart instead. (Hmm maybe I was still in Blog Hop mode!)
That was a much softer look that I was trying to achieve. Final steps were to actually assemble the final card which is at the top of the post. I used my adhesive on the colored parts of the flowers so it wouldn't show through the vellum. I layered the Lemon Tart with Berry Sorbet and Plum Pudding papers and added a bit of Berry Sorbet dotted swiss ribbon. A sentiment below the image, a flourish from the new Fancy Flourishes set from Papertrey and a little bling! This was a tough challenge for me to figure out what I was doing and what it was supposed to look like when I was done. I did like the final project, especially since it was a unique size. Gee Lauren - thanks for PUSHING me out of my comfort zone :-)
One final funny note - when you are embossing you are supposed to lay your vellum on something kind of soft so I used my paper piercing pad - perfect cushion to do my embossing BUT when I picked it up after my first trial - guess what - I had a perfectly stamped rose image on my pad! LOL SO I learned to let the stamped vellum DRY before embossing. (BUT the ink actually did come off with my Ultra Clean and a paper towel!)
Now - hop over to the other Design Team members to see what they have come up with you for this challenge. Please play along - we LOVE to see what YOU come up with. Hugs n Smiles!